Activities of Empower
EMPOWER supports universities on a European level by sharing expertise:
How to become part of this?
1. Join us online:
Each Field of expertise will organise three online events this year about topics important to their field of expertise. The format will be:
- Hot topic round table discussion: panel discussion of max. 5 presenters starting with 5 minutes introduction, participant observers potentially the full EMPOWER experts group
- Master class: (series of) course-like/educational presentation(s), participant observers potentially the full EMPOWER experts group and the world
- Case study: experiences from practice from one or more presenters, participant observers potentially the full EMPOWER experts group
- Webinar: presentation of expert from FOE, participant observers potentially the full EMPOWER experts group
Empower Online Learning Leadership Academy (EOLLA)
Within the EMPOWER programme an Online Learning Leadership Academy has been developed. The academy is an exciting and unique professional development programme. It aims to support the needs of both experienced and new and emerging institutional leaders responsible for a variety of online, open and flexible learning initiatives in higher education. Participants will have an opportunity to share experiences, both online and face-to-face and learn from a number of case studies, which attempt to reveal both the challenges and opportunities of leading in an era of change.
The academy is designed around the principles of active learning and includes activities like high-level discussions, creative problem solving and strategic thinking in response to new and emerging models of teaching and learning. Five experts from the field will explore real dilemmas, challenging case studies and future scenario’s, to better understand the development of strategic, research-informed response to opportunities and threats facing HE.
Registrations are open for the next Leadership Academy at 29-31 May 2017!
3. EMPOWER on-site
Work closely together with invited experts on-site in direct relation with the institutional challenges on introducing and /or optimising new modes of teaching.
EMPOWER is offering on-site collaboration by implementing pilots between expert pools and the hosting (associate) universities. Associated universities are universities that want to accelerate the adoption of new modes of teaching and learning. Associated universities will have their own institutional coordinator. The coordinator, with support from the expert pools, will compose an on-site plan of actions, based on an analysis of the strategies and strengths of the institution. Moreover, the associate institution will have its own visiting experts to be part of (an) expert pool(s). In order to facilitate associated universities EMPOWER with their transformation EMPOWER has developed the on-site approach.
On-site collaborations are led by local coordinators and teams, according to institutional priorities (bottom up approach). The institutional priorities are identified in an institutional profiling exercise. The programme of each pilot is therefore tailor-made in accordance with the priorities based on a dialogue with relevant expert pools. Only expert pools, which match these needs and priorities are involved and will propose staff and management seminars.
- Management and expert meetings on innovation and transformation
- Strategy meetings
- Training sessions
- Developing an institutional roadmap for change and implementation
4. Meet the experts during the Online, Open and Flexible Higher Education Conference in Milton Keynes on 25-27 October 2017. Find further details on the conference website.
5. Get the EMPOWER Annual advisory report on latest trends and developments in new modes of teaching. The first declaration will be released in April 2017.